Turmeric is a root originally grown in India as a fragrant spice and coloring agent. It is one of the main spices and seasonings used in many Indian food recipes. It is also the main ingredient curry and the one that gives curry the yellow glow. So, the next time you go out to your favorite Indian or Thai restaurant, you might want to ask for a take home bag, especially if you have ordered something with curry.
However, turmeric is much more than simply an ingredient to spice up your Pad Thai or Vegetable Curried Chicken recipes. The health benefits also mean that this spice is extremely popular today.
Loosely related to the ginger family, many people have used Turmeric for ages as a 100% natural skin care ingredient. In fact, it is normal for Indian brides to get a Turmeric face mask the day before their wedding. And today, thousands of women and men around the world are discovering the skin care properties of this golden spice of life.
Many of us who care about the appearance of our skin know that milk is another ingredient that helps to moisturize dry skin, soothe irritated skin, and exfoliate matured or aged skin. When combined with turmeric, however, the healing and renewing properties increase. Turmeric not only brightens your skin, it gives the skin a unique glow. It also contains essential vitamins and minerals like Calcium, Vitamins B and C, Potassium and Magnesium that will leave your skin rejuvenated and revitalized.
Here are three quick recipes for combining turmeric and milk to make an unforgettable mask that will leave your face glowing and lustrous.
Turmeric, Milk, and Honey Face Mask
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (if you buy the root, you can mash it up fresh in the food processor and then press out the fresh turmeric juice)
- 1 ½ teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. If you’re using fresh turmeric root, mash it up and use cheese cloth to strain out the pure juice.
- Wash your face with warm water and a light soap to remove any make up and open your pores.
- Apply a thin layer of the face-mask, let sit for 10-15 minutes and then rinse with cold water.
The honey in this mask will hydrate and lubricate your skin while the milk adds high levels of calcium. Calcium helps with exfoliation, and will shrink excessively large pores. The turmeric and the honey both have antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that will help leave your skin healthy and radiant.
Turmeric and Milk Face Mask for Acne
- 2 teaspoons Turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons oats
- Mix together the first three ingredients.
- Blend up your oats in a food processors to get them as close to a powder as possible. If there are a few lumps left in the oats that will only add extra exfoliating properties.
- Mix the oats into the other mixture. If your face mask has too thick of a consistency, add water or milk little by little until you achieve the consistency of a thick face mask.
- Wash your face well with soap and water and when your face is completely dry, apply a thin coat of the face mask.
- Let stand for 10-15 minutes and then wash off with cold water. If you have severe problems with acne, you can apply this face mask once every two days.
Honey, lemon juice and turmeric all contain anti-bacterial and disinfecting properties that will help your skin combat your acne. Turmeric and lemon juice are also anti-inflammatories, which will help your skin recover from any acne scars that you may have left over from those wonderful adolescent years.
You can check out a different mask for acne here.
Turmeric and Almond Milk Face Mask
- 2 tablespoons Turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon raw almond milk
- Mix the two ingredients together until you get a thick paste.
- Wash your face thoroughly to open your pores and then apply a medium thickness face mask over your entire face from your forehead down to your chin.
- Let sit for 15 minutes before washing off with cold water. This is a great mask to apply weekly.
Almond milk is a great alternative to regular milk, especially for people with lactose intolerance. But, not only is almond milk great to drink, it also offers added benefits for your skin. Almond milk contains huge amounts of Vitamin E, which is one of the most essential vitamins your skin needs. This added ingredient will combine with the turmeric to help keep your skin glowing as well as protect it from sun damage.
These simple face masks using turmeric and other natural ingredients are a sure way to keep your skin looking great and healthy for years to come.